I love dates, and all the different benefits of it. I want to give you 5 reasons to eat more dates, because I know it is such an AMAZING fruit. The berry of golden yellow color is wonderfully delicious and packed with reasons to consume more of it.
5 Reasons to Eat More Dates:
1. It is a great way to increase your fiber intake. Fiber is really good and in fact super important for your gut. A study done in 2018 showed that more than 97% of South Africans do not consume enough fiber. Dates has almost 7g fiber per 100g serving which
falls under the HIGH in fiber claim and is a great and subtle way to make sure you meet those recommendations. (Dietary Fiber Intake and Metabolic Syndrome Risk Factors among Young South African Adults)
2. Compared to a similar type of fruit, dates has the most antioxidants. Antioxidants are like superheroes. They fight the bad guys in our body called free radicals and you want as much of them as possible in your body.
3. Number 3 is my favorite and the most interesting fact about dates. Eating these fruits throughout the last few weeks of pregnancy may promote cervical dilation and lower the need for induced labor. Which means dates are a great snack if you want
to give birth naturally.
4. Dates are sweet which makes them a great and healthier substitute for sugar.
5. Dates are sticky which makes them useful as a binder in baked goods or other snacks.
The best way to substitute dates for white sugar is to make date paste. It is made by mixing dates with water in a blender. A rule of thumb is to replace sugar with date paste at a 1:1 ratio. Then if the recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar, you’ll replace it with 1 cup of date paste.
Or you can use the already blended vegan date HUNNY, available on this website from Stonelodge elegant wholefoods. It is locally sourced and you can use it to sweeten your coffee, yogurt or even ice cream.
We have already tried and tested a recipe of our own with this beauty which you can check out on our Instagram feed.